Central Texas DX and Contest Club
    About Us
    Email Reflector
    DXCC Totals
    WAZ Totals
    DX Clusters
    Club Competition
    Trophy Case
    Score Rumors
    W1AW/5 2002
    Club Logo
    Silent Keys
    In The News
    Local Regs
    IC Graph
Contest Score Rumors

2002 CTDXCC CQ World Wide WPX Contest, Phone

Station   Op        Category      QSOs   Mults    Score
NA4M      NA4M      SOAB HP        341    240    200,400
N5XU      K5TWJ     SOAB HP A R    554    350    423,850
K5DU      K5DU      SOAB HP A      364    318    308,142
K5NA      K5NA      SOAB HP A      164    163     69,764
K5TR      K5TR      SOAB LP       2183    786  3,423,030 *
W5KFT     KI5DR     SOAB LP       1003    508  1,017,524
NZ5A      NZ5A      SOSB LP 20 T   101     93     19,530
N5XU      WM5R      SOSB LP 15 T   110     92     15,732
NX5M      many      MS   HP       3468   1109  8,170,003


(* Does not count for CTDXCC club score)

"Conditions went punk as well as having to unplug the gear for the thunderboomers. I spent considerable time trying to get the computer sound card to function properly as a DVK with WriteLog. I gave up on that." - NA4M

"I was going to operate only until I found one new SSB country to add to my SSB totals. Then I was going to weed my garden, sweep the floors, do the laundry, knit a sweater and other normal tasks. Unfortunately, my first QSO was with an XX9, a new SSB country for me. So I did some more operating. I don't know how many hours it was. I mostly chased DX spots and avoided US stations except for people I know. I never called CQ. I slept at night instead of torturing myself with the noisy bands. I did work some good stuff - FK and VP6, and other Pacific stuff. The funniest thing I came across was when I was listening to a YO station and saw someone spot him as a YA station. A massive pileup erupted which must have delighted the poor guy. I used the ICOM 765 and an amplifier for the contest." - K5DU

"I could not believe that we dodged the storms that were expected to ruin most of the Saturday operation. The only time we had to go QRT was for just over an hour at 1130 UTC Saturday as a small cell decided to pass right overhead. As the day went on, it was beginning to look as if we were repeatedly going to be forced off the air. I am still amazed that we were not shut down for an extended period. As the line of severe storms approached from the WSW late in the afternoon, I was sure that this was going to be the one that could not miss us. Wanna talk about luck? As the line reached the southwest end of Lake Somerville, it split into two different entities, and the break between the both of them spared us. There was lightning five miles to our north and five miles to our south. Although too close by some standards, we stayed on the air as I physically kept an eye on things. I guess after being hit by a strike during the ARRL 10M Contest in December, the big boss up there just decided to leave us alone this time. I dont know why I even bothered to connect the low band antennas. The low bands just never fell into the scheme of things based on how things were going. New category: Multi-Single High-Power High-Bands Only!" - NX5M

"I arrived Friday around 5:00 and got a quick tour of the antennas, station layout, StackMatch configuration, etc. We knew that a storm front was due in sometime around Saturday. The first wave of the storm hit around 2AM, so we unplugged everything and took a 3 hour nap. I got up at 5:30, hooked everything back up, made one Indonesia contact, and the wind started whipping up again. Another storm blew across the lake, and we stayed off the air until 9AM or so. I set my goal of 1,000 QSOs or 1 million points, and wanted to see which one would arrive first (the QSOs won out). Most interesting point was working Antarctica for my KC4 multiplier as the last contact of the night! I finished up around midnight Saturday then made my way back to Austin. Special thanks for W5KFT for the use of his station, and all of Robert K5PI's help while I was there." - KI5DR

"So many other things were going on this weekend that I only had a few hours to get on the air. I operated from N5XU, the club station at the University of Texas at Austin. Several other club members were also there, making QSOs on the main HF radio and tribander. The antenna I had available was a 40 meter dipole, which normally is considered usable on 15 meters. This dipole, though, was tuned for the SSB portion of the band, near 7.250 MHz, which would make it resonant closer to 21.750 MHz than it would be to the upper edge of the 15 meter band (21.450 MHz.) I did not have an antenna tuner available. According to my wattmeter, the radio put about 40 watts out. I tried to run probably a dozen times, and only a couple of times could I get more than a few callers, even though I was on frequencies that sounded perfectly clear to me. When I was searching and pouncing, many station could not hear me. Mostly, DX stations could not hear me, but many W1s were deaf, and one WB9 was S8 in my receiver and kept calling CQ in my face. Stations in the west and midwest were much better about hearing me when I called. The best DX I worked was HK0OEP, who must not have been spotted on packet, and was kind of underneath some other station, but he heard me just fine." - WM5R


Today's Webmaster: Robert W5AJ
Please send requests for updates or additions to W5AJ
Web server resources courtesy of kkn.net